Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Auckland Classic: Three Interesting Second Round Match-Ups

All the seeds except for Kimiko Date Krumm go to the second round in the Auckland Classic.  For today's matches, the following are the three most interesting match-ups for me.

#3 Elena Vesnina (RUS) (#52) vs. Simona Halep (ROU) (#84)


Elena Vesnina is a competent player but I think she'll have a showdown with Simona Halep, who has shown some promise in 2010.  Now is the chance for Halep to go deeper into this tournament and Vesnina will be a good test of how good she has become since last year.


#2  Sabine Lisicki (GER) (#175) vs. Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) (#23)


I've always thought that Sabine Lisicki has what it takes to make it into the Top 40 and today's match-up with hot young talent, Yanina Wickmayer, will show how far or near she is to the tennis elite.  Wickmayer, who dismantled Safina today, should have no problems today but I hope there's some challenge from Sabine.

#1  Peng Shuai (CHN) (#72) vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) (#27)



I haven't seen Peng Shuai play for sometime so I want to see how she comes up tomorrow against Svetlana Kuznetsova.  Of course, I'd like to see Kuznetsova win, since I want to see her go up the rankings again, and a title here, would certainly help her.

No comments:

Post a Comment