Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 3: The Top 5 Intriguing Match-Ups in the Women's Singles Australian Open 2011

Well, it's Day 3 already in the Australian Open.  Here are the five matches I would like to see today in the women's side.

#1  Jelena Dokic (AUS) (#137) vs. Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) (#63)

Well, I love underdogs and Jelena Dokic is again in a draw where she has a chance of going deeper.  It's only the second round where she meets Strycova of the Czech Republic.  I think she has a good chance here of going into the 3rd round.

#2 Regina Kulikova (RUS) (#114) vs. Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) (#107)

Both players are ranked outside the Top 100 and both are in the second round of a Grand Slam.  Well, one of them will surely reach the third round, and that should do wonders to the ranking of the hardworking girl.  I will put my bet on Chanelle Scheepers, who has more experience at this level than Kulikova.

#3  Rebecca Marino (CAN) (#104) vs. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) (#7)

I've seen how Rebecca played Venus in the US Open, and there, she was fearless!  I'd like to see how she handles Francesca later, another top 10 player.  I even believe Rebecca could eliminate Schiavone!  We'll see.

#4 Virginie Razzano (#100) vs. Maria Sharapova (RUS) (#16)

I like watching Maria play and although she hasn't really been on top form lately, I'd like to see how she deals with Virginie who is another competent player.  Will Maria's service let her down again or will she take care of this in just two sets.

#5 Justine Henin (BEL) (#13) vs. Elena Baltacha (GBR) (#55)

I haven't seen Elena play in a long time and I'm happy to see her rank rise to #55.  I want to see how she handles former champion Justine Henin in their second round encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment