Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Brian Baker: Player Ranked Outside Top 100 Who's Into Second Round of French Open 2012















Definitely one of the comeback stories of this year's French Open, I admit I was one of those people who had no idea about the background of Brian Baker.  I made the mistake of tuning out of the Nice Open last week, so I had no idea he was already slaying many of the top players of the game then - even reaching the finals - just losing to Nicolas Almagro!  So I was clueless today as I saw him against Gilles Simon, a former Top 10 player.  Otherwise, I would've cheered lustily for him!  As for the uninitiated, the Internet now is peppered with several stories about Brian Baker's injury and his quiet nature.  Look for them.  It will inspire you!

Anyhow, if he continues to play like he does, I'm sure Brian will be back in the Top 100 soon.  

Here in Roland Garros, his first assignment was not easy at all - veteran Xavier Malisse.  But Baker slew him 63 76(1) 76(5).  His second round assignment was tougher - #12 player, local boy Gilles Simon.  Their match looked like a routine match for Simon, winning comfortably the first two sets, but Baker woke up, and took the next two sets.  However, Simon elevated his game in the fifth set and won.  It's ok.  It's only Baker's twelfth match this year anyway, and a month ago, he was still in Nashville, wondering if he had a chance in the world stage of tennis.

Apparently he has!  I am definitely cheering for him during the grass season! 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment