Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tennis Glamour Girl Ana Ivanovic Wins Her First Title in Two Years at Linz


In a very quick final, Ana Ivanovic stormed to her ninth career title - and first in two years - at the Generali Ladies Linz, crushing Patty Schnyder in just 47 minutes, 61 62.  Her head-to-head now with Schnyder is 5-4.

"Patty's always a tough opponent and I didn't expect this kind of scoreline," Ivanovic said afterwards. "I had confidence from my last few matches and that helped me stay aggressive today. I took a lot of risks and stepped in a lot. I believed in my shots and made them count, and I'm very pleased with that."

"She was playing well from the start, taking the ball so early - not even hitting winners all the time, but hitting it so early," Schnyder said. "She knew what she was doing on every shot and she can beat anybody if she plays like that. I needed some help but there wasn't really a lot of help for me out there."

Interestingly, Ivanovic was a wildcard in this tournament, receiving a call the day before main draw play started after the late withdrawal of Serena Williams, who was to be the No.1 seed. The late arrival didn't hold her back.

"It's just amazing how some things turn out," Ivanovic said. "When I got the call I was really excited because I felt I was playing well, and I was excited to play more matches. This is my first title since I won here in 2008, so it's very special. I feel very good here and am really happy to have come back this week."

This was Ana's path to the championship -

Finals - Patty Schnyder (#47) (SUI) 6-1, 6-2
SFs - Roberta Vinci (#46) (ITA) 6-3, 7-5
QFs - Julia Goerges (#43) (GER) 7-6, 6-2
2R - Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (#58) (CZE) 6-3, 6-2
1R - Sorana Cirstea (#97) (ROU) 6-2, 6-0

No comments:

Post a Comment