Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Friday, October 29, 2010

Still Reeling from Elena's Announcement of Her Retirement

After her fantastic win over Samantha Stosur yesterday, there was really no indication that Elena would announce her retirement the day after that!  She had no major injuries (although she suddenly withdrew from the French Open semi's) and she hasn't announced any plans to marry (that I've heard of).  And she's back in the Top 10 after missing it for a few weeks this year!  So to suddenly announce her retirement was a complete shock!

Anyhow, she did give us, her fans, a lot to remember her by.  I 'discovered' her in 2003, while I was in Oslo.  In Europe, they have a channel just for tennis.  We don't have that in the Philippines.  We didn't even get full coverage of the French Open till about 2005!  Anyhow, I think the tournament was in Filderstadt and I saw her play.  And her name stuck with me.  There was something in the way she played that attracted me to her. 

Then, in 2004, she reached the semi's of the US Open, and she was playing against Mauresmo.  It was a ridiculously funny match because, here she was, her serve was barely going in, but Mauresmo, who is normally, a smart player, was just wilting from the heat!!  All the commentators were shocked because Dementieva's serve was deserting her, but she was pounding Mauresmo out of the court with her forehands!  That's when I became a real of fan of hers. I was thinking, how could this player, with such a glaring weakness, reach a final of a Grand Slam!  And it was her second final for that year!!  I started cheering for her after that! 

I guess I love tennis players with flaws and weaknesses.  Remember, this was those years when the Williamses were just overpowering and were unstoppable.  She reminded me of Martina Hingis, who is also not a power player, but who just used her cunning to win games.  Elena was not popular for her cunning, she was popular for fighting, point by point!

My most memorable moment of hers was the 2009 semi-final with Serena Williams.  That was probably, the most memorable match for me in Wimbledon history - aside from Marion Bartoli, defeating Justine Henin, I think 2 years before.  I love underdogs!  I am a Filipino!!  I love that match!!! Serena was a tigress - and she always is - she never gives you a freebie - to defeat her in a Grand Slam - you have to eat her alive!!  Elena lost but the level of that game was so high - it was like watching a Federer - Nadal final!!  It was a beautiful spectacle of women's tennis!! Athletic, powerful shots, never-say-die rallies, and it was a cliffhanger till the end!! I think it almost reached 3 hours - which is rare in the women's game!

Oh well, I will miss her badly.  The truth is, there are only two celebrities that I really care for in this world - translation - I would cry if they die!  Madonna and Elena.  They're two women who have inspired me greatly in my life.  Today is a bit of a death, but thankfully, not physically.  But life goes on, and I'm sure I'll find somebody new.  Thanks Elena for all the good memories and I wish you well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment