Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Friday, June 29, 2012

And the World Discovers Lukas Rosol!



I blog about tennis almost everyday and I can't believe I don't even have a single article about Lukas Rosol!  Where has this man been hiding?  I am currently watching his game now (a replay haha - I did not finish watching his game last night because I thought he would really just fold after Nadal beat him in the first set tiebreak!) against Rafael Nadal and I am amazed at Rosol's abilities - his aces and his powerful groundstrokes!  He has really just come out of nowhere and shell shocked Rafa.  I rarely see an alpha male player like Nadal get a dose of his own medicine.  Also, it's very rare that balls just whiz through Nadal - in a normal game, he just gets everything back!  But not in this match.

I guess aside from his latent abilities, what worked for Rosol was his ability to concentrate throughout the grueling five-setter and just go toe-to-toe with Rafa.  Also, he was never afraid to take charge and dominate - which is not easy if you're playing Nadal - who, everyone knows, deliberately plays at his own pace - much to the chagrin of many of his foes.  I did read somewhere that Nadal tried to make Rosol lose his concentration - which is par for course in a sporting match - but Rosol did not take the bait.

Well, it's always exciting to discover a gem in the rough - which I think Rosol is.  It's only the second round and it's still a long way to go - but if he just continues to play this way, he could really go deeper into this tournament.  Of course, he only has a day or two to deal with the euphoria and bottle everything in and go back to business.  I would really love to see him play a few more matches because his game is well suited for grass.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment