Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nicolas Almagro: Almost There But Not Quite

I admit I was one of those who watched the quarterfinal match between Spanish players David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro, who couldn't believe how Nicolas Almagro just let his 30-0 lead 5-4 over David Ferrer in a crucial game in the third set slip him by!  Nicolas was only two points away from his very first grand slam semifinal - and he allowed David Ferrer back into the match.  That was the turning point for Ferrer in that match - and he never looked back.

Almagro is one of my favorite players in the tour and I think his quarterfinal appearance here should beef up his points to finally make it into the top 10.  I know it's very tough to beat any of the top four players right now - including Ferrer, who is standing in for his injured compatriot Rafa Nadal, but he had his chance and let it go. I think he has to work on the mental toughness department more and find the drive to get back up after committing a major blunder.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment