Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Monday, August 31, 2015

2015 US Open: Benoit Paire on Fire as He Dispatches Kei Nishikori


That's what I love about tennis!  What I thought would just be a usual first round rout turned out to be an upset of one of my tournament favorites!

I've seen Benoit Paire play before and I know he can really be brilliant at times, but he's the kind of player who's impressive when he's hot and very odd, when he's cold.  I guess he decided to get it all together today, as he upset one of my tournament favorites, Kei Nishikori in five sets.

He played fearlessly in the first set, faltered a bit in the second and third, but woke up suddenly in the tiebreaker of the 4th round, and he never looked back!  

He just took his chances whenever he can and served like a top 4 player!  It takes guts to be that confident, especially in the fifth set, and especially if the player across you is a top 4 player and a finalist from last year!  I guess Benoit Paire was on fire and he did play splendidly as the match came to its conclusion.

I don't know though how deep into this tournament he can go because he's a hot and cold type of player, so it would really depend on the kind of Benoit Paire that gets to court on the day.  But if he continues to play this way, he should at least reach the 4th round, where a possible match-up with compatriot Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment