Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Wimbledon 2015: Coco Vandeweghe Rises to the Occasion


I don't quite remember the occasion when I first saw the raw talent of Coco Vandeweghe, but I knew it was a few years ago. I think she was playing against Serena Williams and she did not look intimidated at all.  It was then that I knew she would make inroads into the grand slam soon enough.  

However, it did not happen overnight, as I saw her, get defeated in the earlier rounds of many many grand slams.  Then, in the Australian Open this year, she broke into the third round of a grand slam for the first time.

She makes a better account for herself in Wimbledon 2015 by making it into the quarterfinals of a grand slam for the very first time in her career!  To do it, she had wins over some really good players like Karolina Pliskova, Samantha Stosur and Lucie Safarova.  For the first time in her career, Coco Vandweghe is finally showing the world what she can really do.

She just ran into Maria Sharapova in the quarters but still pushed the Russian into three sets.  I believe that as Coco gains more experience into the second week of a slam, she would become more battle weary and experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment