Labels

Popular Posts of the Week

Sunday, August 29, 2010

US Open Tennis 2010 - Day 1

Day One is usually like a circus since half of the participants in both the men's and women's singles will be playing.  Also, since it's the first round, there won't be that many intriguing match-ups since at this stage, it would usually involve one player in the elite and another one in the coming-up section of the list. 

The following are the matches I will be looking out for later today.


Elena is my favorite player so I am eagerly awaiting her match later.  Her opponent is Belorussian Olga Govortsova, whom I am not quite familiar with.  I have placed both their pictures here so you can get to know them.  I don't know much about Govortsova and I checked in my ledger that she did not perform too well in this year's hard court season.  I think Elena should win this in 2 sets.



2.  Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) v. Dinara Safina (RUS)


I don't know who's more unlucky of the two but I'm sure both of them don't want to meet each other at the first round of a Grand Slam!  Both are very talented and have some form of Grand Slam pedigree.  Anyhow, it's Safina who has really fallen out of form and is already out of the Top 50 .  Hantuchova has been more consistent.  However, Safina has been finding a bit of her former form recently so this should be quite a contest.  Hantuchova lost to Safina last week in New Haven and should be raring for a revenge match.  This is her chance to avenge her loss!










3. Melanie Oudin (USA) v. Olga Savchuk (UKR)


Last year's golden girl Melanie Oudin hopes to get more scalps this year and push deeper into her draw.  I want to see if she still has the golden touch this time around.  However, she should be able to take care of Olga Savchuk.















I am still curious how Ana Ivanovic is playing.  She did reach the semi's in Cincinnati, losing to Clijsters, so I'm curious if she can still retain that form.  Makarova just broke into the Top 100 this year and is on a roll.  However, her hard court season has been so-so, so Ivanovic should win over her in 2 sets.



5. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) v. Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)



This is one of the men's matches that I'm interested in since both are very competent players.  Lleyton's star may have faded a bit but he can still beat most of the players in the Top 100.  Paul-Henri Mathieu is another competent player who can make life hard for Lleyton.  Let's see how this pans out.  Most likely a five-setter.

5. Jurgen Melzer (AUT) v. Dmitry Tursunov (RUS)



Jurgen has been on a roll this year, reaching the semi's of the French Open. This is a match I'm interested in since both of these players are very good and I'm sure, won't be too lopsided.  I haven't heard much from Tursunov this hard court season though.  Jurgen should win this in four sets.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment