Labels
Popular Posts of the Week
-
Edouard Roger-Vasselin, currently ranked #186, has been trying to qualify in a grand slam since Wimbledon last year but has failed to ti...
-
1. Serena Williams / Venus Williams (USA) - 15 2. Karolina Pliskova / Petra Kvitova (CZE) - 19 3. Svetlana Kuznetsova / Elena Vesnina (...
-
Now that Nadal's impressive run of nine titles in Roland Garros has been on hold due to injury, Spain installs another champion o...
-
SWITZERLAND - 5 Timea Bacsinszky Belinda Bencic Viktorija Golubic vs. CANADA - 0 Eugenie Bouchard Francoise Abanda Bianca...
-
I thought the result of the other women's draw was strange, the bottom lower part of the women's draw has an even more bizarr...
-
After getting a career grand slam in the 2015-2016 season, one might forgive Novak Djokovic for having a slump the year after. A run...
-
I was browsing through the men's draw today and here are the top 5 match-ups that I find very interesting - #1 Andreas Seppi ( ITA )...
-
Simona Halep has quietly climbed the WTA rankings these past few months, and even without any major grand slam breakthrough, she has reac...
-
Simone Bolelli of Italy, currently ranked #132, reached the third round of Wimbledon for the third time this year. He also made it this...
-
Looks like Stan Wawrinka is serious in improving his QF best performance the past two Wimbledons this year by hiring former champ Ric...
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Getting to Know Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino!
When I checked today who won the Bogota title last week, I was surprised to find the name of Spanish player Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino! I follow women's tennis every week and this lady has never been on my radar! Not even once. So really, I am shocked that from out of nowhere, she emerges and gets her first WTA title!
So when I checked, the week entering the Bogota tournament, Laura was ranked #174. Her draw was not easy since she immediately got to meet a seed in the first round - Austrian Patricia Mayr-Achleitner (#96). She almost lost it but won a very tight third set tiebreaker, the final score 61 36 76(3). Next game Czech player, Eva Birnerova, still ranked higher than her at #110, but she makes short work of Eva 64 60. And she was in the quarterfinals!
There, she was set to meet Argentinian future ace, Paula Ormaechea, ranked #120, and she sweeps Ormaechea away, 63 60. In her first semifinal ever, she meets Romanian veteran Edina Gallovits-Hall (#128), and she wins over her too 64 63.
Enfin, in the finals, she wins over Russian returning veteran, Alexandra Panova (#118) 62 75 to cap a remarkable weak for her. I hope she does a good run in the clay court season and possibly qualify for the French Open. Now that would be exciting for her and to Spanish women's tennis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment